View Single Post
Old 12-08-2007, 02:17 PM
And I only had one lesson

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
Nick, did you even read any of your links?

The one at the bottom talks about a '78 sl with a 396 chebby in it. It took a professional shop "ten months to complete, working 40 to 50 hours a week". the cost was $45,000.

This proves my point a thousand times over.

Tom W
Yes, but that car is tubbed, show quality and just simply ridiculous for street use. It's just a pro-street show car. You caould spend the same money to restore it to stock if it needed that much work. The engine conversion itself did not involve a whole lot of engineering. This guy had a different goal. If he were to have left the car all stock except for the engine, trans, and a stock width rear end, and built it for the street, it would have cost him a $#it load less money.

I know a guy who restored a 71 Monte Carlo and tubbed it like that and put in a stock big block Chevy and it still cost him 70k to build.

If you have a stock, spare chevy engine/trans and only need to fabricate exhaust, mounts, and driveshaft, for the Mercedes you could do it over a weekend, for less than $2000.00 and drive it to work every day of the week.