View Single Post
Old 12-09-2007, 01:34 PM

chevy engine swap kit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roncallo View Post
I have been seeing lots of posting on Chevy powered benzes. I would like to know how many of the people on this forum are interested in such and would actually pay cash for a chevy powered kit. So take your time and please anser these questions.

1) How many would want me killed for bastardising a Benz.

2) Which models would you like to see kits for. I happen to be a 107 fan in case you havent noticed.

3) Would you be willing to pay say $6000 for a kit including modified sub frame, all engine and trans mounting hardware, modified drive shaft, custom aluminum or brass radiator, AC hoses, PS hoses and exhaust down pipes.

4) I have also considered turn key installations, but with the overall cost of installing a used Chevy engine about the same as a used M120 benz engine, I belive I would be better to focus the high end turn key solution to the MB engine installations only, a C06 vett engine may be an ecception to that rule.

5) How do most Chevy conversions take place. Is it something like, I have a used MB that I really like but it has a blown engine and my dad just wrecked his Caprice. Then the I start the project not realizing what I steped into and either completed it, because I had so much time and money into it and I had to do something, or I abandond it and learned never to do that again.

John Roncallo
John, You can probable guess my opinion of the swap. First of all, There our cars and we will do what we want, no matter what "purists" think. So the awnser to #1-Who gives a "rats***" what anyone thinks. Awnser #2- The styling and shure numbers of available 107's would be an ideal platform. (although I've read several post for swaps into othe models and they love them) Awnser #3-I think 6 grand would be to steep. Modifing and fabricating the sub frame and tranny mount would be the best kit. The problem arises with the steering. Do you leave Mercede stock "rear steering" or update to rack and pinion mounted on the front of the reworked sub frame? (like mine is), Leaving rear steer would limit you on engines/oil pan configurations. Yes a new drive shaft would be good also. I dont beleive theres any reason to change the radiator. AC and PS and radiator hoses would be a nice addition. And last, accelerator linkage. Awnser #4-Turn key's are for guy's with "Cash" no time or knowlege and in that respect....You build what the guy wants and is willing to pay for. Awnser#5-If you have loved cars and always wanted something differant....You build it. I can still remeber the day my dad and finished the small block into my 1972 Vega. I thru him the keys and he took off so fast he just about tore off the exhaust system. (they were very low to the ground and there was alittle rise in our driveway) When he came back..... To see the smile on his face...as they...."Priceless". In closing....Anyone interested in this swap....GO FOR IT! Expecially if someone of Johns talent was doing all the hard work for you. Thanks and later Dave