View Single Post
Old 12-09-2007, 03:15 PM

Got around to removing the steering wheel on my 560SL to clean out and take a look at my airbag contacts. Have a couple of questions.

Is it possible to determine the age of the airbag? If the airbag was replaced on the car for some reason, is there a date associated with the airbag serial number that Mercedes or someone else can look up?

The inside contact area was not terribly dirty, but I did clean it up and blow out the carbon residue. Before I put it back together and hope that just cleaning it up fixed it like some others have reported, is it normal for the two outer rings to be grooved? The two outer rings have a pretty good groove worn into them by the four outer brushes. The two inner rings are not grooved at all. The brushes themselves seem to have some life left in them. Since this is the first time I've seen the airbag contacts and rings, I need to know what is normal and what if anything needs to be replaced.

See attached photos.
Attached Thumbnails
SRS light always on-airbagcontacts-001.jpg   SRS light always on-airbagcontacts-002.jpg  
'88 560SL 41,000 miles - totaled and parted out
https://sites.google.com/site/mercedesstuff/home
'99 E300 turbo 227,500 miles
'03 SLK320 40,000 miles - gave to my daughter
'14 Smart electric coupe 28,500 miles
'14 Smart electric cabriolet 28,500 miles
'15 Smart electric coupe 28,000 miles