View Single Post
Old 12-09-2007, 09:05 PM
Stella!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorrison View Post
I figure the tranny weights about 100# I will use a jack to lower it.
I was going to cut some wood to make a level platform for the tranny pan to the jack plate and use ratcheting band/s to secure it to the jack.
Is it OK to use the tranny pan as a support or should I create something to support the tranny at the pan bolts only?
The tranny weighs more like 150+...it's heavy. Use the friend's lift and rent a transmission jack, chain the tranny to the jack and remove it that way. Reinstall the same way. You will not be able to keep the tranny attached to the jack and pull it out from under the car unless the underpan of car is >30" off the ground. Nevrtheless, a tranny jack is the only way to go when positioning it.

Quote:
How far rearward does the tranny have to move to clear the input shaft from the engine?
about 1-1.5""

Quote:
Rleo listed disconnecting the torque converter. What is done to the torque converter to prepare the tranny for removal.
There are six or eight bolts (sorry, can't remember the number) that fasten the TC to the flex plate. They have to be removed so the TC can come off with the tranny. I'd drain all the fluids from the pan and the TC.

Dave,
By disconnecting the front flex disk, pulling the rear mount out and dropping the back of the tranny downwards, you just may be able to access that area where the modulator is located. It would be worth a try. The valve cover will come in contact with the forewall and you'll need to tighten the valve cover when done but I'd try all that before pulling that tranmission.

R