View Single Post
Old 05-09-2000, 05:46 PM
MB Shop Retiree

I have not heard anything about excessive wrappage, but if this is so, I also would suggest 205/60/15, it will offer a more "precise" feel while the 215/60/15 would offer better handling. I really haven't heard any problems with people who have 215/60/15 on them right now, who knows. I had no problems when we used them on the stock wheels of the 260E (weren't as many sizes back then anyway.) As for as my recommendations, just like before except delete the Michelin Pilot XGT V4, instead I would agree with Dsinger (Michelin Pilot SX-GT) as they are the only Ultra High Performance tire I would buy in that size (205/60/15.)

As for winter Tires:

I would suggest sticking with the stock size (the skinnier) because the wider a tire is, the more it plows through the snow instead of cutting through it. And the more and more the tires plow through the snow, the more the tendency to be pushed to the limit and they slip. The reason I recommend the Sunlop Winter Sports instead of the Michelin Pilot Alpin are not made in 195/65/15 (stock size) and the only Sport Winter tire are the Dunlops. As for regular Winter Tires, the Blizzak family is hard to touch.

You will find many people (Dsinger and Lee) recommending the Michelins, (Michael) recommending the Toyos, and others recommending other brands, only thing I can say is it depends a little on what kind of tire you are looking for.

The following link is a one of the other Posts were Luke from TireRack (the moderator and guru of tires and wheels) lists some of his recommendations in general, without looking at any one paticular size. If you are looking for a tire and don't know what to go with, call TireRack and they will throughout some recommendations as well. Remember that they are the cheapest around. Goto a local NTB and have them order through TireRack, save yourself money.
WHAT LUKE RECOMMENDS

------------------
Chirag (Charlie) Patel

- 99 Mercedes-Benx ML 430 V8 w/custom TV, Video, UHF, speaker system
- 93 190E 2.6 (4-sale) w/ an amp, equalizer, and CD-changer, integrated w. stock stereo for integrated cellular phone speaker system
- had a 93 190E m103 3.2, 5-speed trans,
- had a 88 300E 2.6
- had a 84 300TD w/275k+ miles
- 2001 C-Class - Maybe (if 190E sells)

[This message has been edited by Chiragp (edited 05-09-2000).]