View Single Post
Old 12-11-2007, 03:01 PM
Mmm! Diesel!

It's no big deal, but thank you for the info. I can answer this one. Your car does use a cable. Checking it is fairly simple, but can be a little frustrating for some people.

Usually, the cable insert is indeed the weak link. Frequently, one that is about to die will cause a jerking, unstable speedometer needle, as even a noise, frequently a clicking that increases with speed.

Honestly, the best way to check them is to slide them out of the sheath. but it's not always possible to do so easily. By pulling it out, a complete inspection can be made from tip to tip, and it's the only way to be sure there are no fraying strands or kinks anywhere.

On my 300D, I actually removed the cable from both the cluster and the transmission, removed the cable from the sheath, and cleaned both completely with brake cleaner before applying lube and reassembling them. (Preventative maintenance, and very possibly overkill.) At least now I know that it's in perfect working order.

I suspect there may be a thread or two on here with great instructions for accessing the cable from both ends, which is important should it be broken in the middle somewhere. My memory is a bit fuzzy, as I did it months ago, or I'd attempt to walk you through the process. I'll see if I can find a link or two.

'77 300D Euro Delivery
OM617 turbo / 4-speed swap
404 Milanbraun Metallic / 134 Dattel MB-Tex

Current status:
* Undergoing body work

My '77 300D progress thread