View Single Post
Old 12-11-2007, 04:29 PM

I had an '82 diesel rabbit, loved it to bits, but my memory is a little fuzzy since it was 10yrs ago. I don't think those originally came w/ a 5sp but don't quote me on that. I'm just worried someone might've put in one of those GTI gearboxes from that era where a 5 cent piece broke and 5th gear literally drops and bores a hole into the case. Had it happen on my '84 GTI and the only real fix is to locate an earlier Scirocco 5sp with longer gearing...actually improved the car in my opinion.

Anyway, the only problems my '82 had was a leaky rear hatch seal, the typical VW stuck sunroof syndrome, and the heat cables to the cabin busted so I rigged up my own heating lever hookup. I never got worse than 40mpg and I drag raced EVERYONE at EVERY stoplight. Without anyone realizing it of course.

But, now that i'm older and hopefully wiser, I can't but help to realize that just about any $2000 Honda/Ford subcompact is better for what you intend to do. I just acquired a $1500 '94 Civic, it has the dual airbags and i assume some sort of side protection in the doors. I seem to remember that VW didn't have any bars in the doors until '85. But again, fuzzy memory, I'm not sure.

I think what I'm getting at is that the time of year you're most likely to have a fender-bender is during our winters, and a 25yr old VW is probably the worst bumpercar i can think of. But, I just sold my '99 E300D safety-tank for this rusty tin-box Honda, so I'm a hypocrite. But hey, something for you to think over...