View Single Post
Old 12-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Diesel Head

DIY 617.9XX prechamber tools

The following is a recap with pictures of all the tools that can be made very easily at home to remove the injectors, prechamber collers and prechambers on a 617.9xx engine. All tools worked exceptionally well and some of the ideas came off this site from previous threads, however I was not able to find pics (that does not mean they are not there). The entire job after the tools were made took roughly 4 hours and went very smoothly. The only hitch was with the collars, 2 of them came out easily with the homemade tool, the remaining 3 had to be loosened with a hammer and chisel because the collar started to break apart using the tool. During assembly the tool worked like a charm.
Feel free to PM me if any additional details are needed.

To remove injectors, I used an old cornwell deep impact socket 1 1/16 and used a carbide bit to grind down the interior walls to accommodate the injector weep ports. This took about 20 minutes.......Cost $0 plus labor.

To remove prechamber collars, I used an old cornwell 7/8 shallow impact socket and used a cut off wheel on a die grinder to cut notches that fit in groves of collar. This took about 5 minutes.....Cost $0 plus labor. It was also helpful to use the bicycle crank tool installed into the collar (just happened to fit the 7/8 socket perfectly) to stabilize the socket so it would not slip out of the groves.

To remove prechambers, I used a slide hammer purchased at a local tool shop for $10 and using info from this site I went to the local cycle shop and purchased a bicycle crank extractor tool for $20. Using a cut off wheel on a die grinder I removed the crank handle and took the rest to a local welding shop where they welded the inner bolt of the crank tool to a part of the slide hammer for $10.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY 617.9XX prechamber tools-img_0472.jpg   DIY 617.9XX prechamber tools-img_0473.jpg   DIY 617.9XX prechamber tools-img_0454.jpg   DIY 617.9XX prechamber tools-img_0457.jpg   DIY 617.9XX prechamber tools-img_0458.jpg  

Last edited by Diesel Head; 12-11-2007 at 09:13 PM.