View Single Post
Old 12-12-2007, 03:22 AM

Edited instructions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Head View Post
For those needing or wanting instructions.
Thank you for the Special Tool making DIY.

I suggest these changes to your instructions:

For those needing or wanting instructions.

#0. Take pictures for reassembly and routing, BEFORE work begins.

#1. Pull throttle linkages off and out of the way.

#2. Remove the STEEL Injector lines from injectors and injection pump, flip the line set up side down, cover the line ports to protect against dirt/grit, and set aside.

#3. Cover the injection pump delivery valve ports against grit/dirt.

#4. Remove the injectors.

#5. Remove the injector heat shields (I used an old dental pick to remove the shield).

#6. Remove glow plugs, brace the wire harness connector so it does not twist off.

#7. Remove prechamber collars.

#8. Screw tool into prechamber and extract using slide hammer (Mine took about 10 smacks each, some prechambers have been known to require heavier force).

#9. WARNING: Make sure prechamber seal ring is also removed.

#10. Clean out any carbon / soot / dirt, use a vacuum cleaner with a wide bore drinking straw taped to the nozzle for reaching into the cylinder.

#11. WARNING: You MUST install a NEW prechamber seal ring every time the prechamber is removed, this is a single crush seal…
OM617 part numbers are:
Standard seal ring MB# 6150170060
Repair size I; 2.3mm MB# 6150170160
Repair size I; 2.6mm MB# 6150170260
Repair size I; 2.9mm MB# 6150170360

#12. Using a good used or new prechamber, thread tool into prechamber and tap into place firmly.
OM617 prechamber number is:
MB# 6170100352

#13. Install new collar
OM617 prechamber collar number is:
MB# 6150170003

#14. Install new glow plugs, WARNING/DANGER: you can break the tapered seat in cylinder head with excess force.
#15. Install a NEW heat shield. WARNING: You MUST install a NEW heat shield every time the Injector is removed, this is a single crush seal…

#16. Install wires onto glow plugs. WARNING/DANGER: This is an electric connection, the eight millimeter nut should be tightened with a wrench, and final torque is applied using one finger tip = any more force will damage or break the electrode = destroy your new glow plugs.

#17. Install STEEL injector lines, and looped fuel return hoses.

#18. Install throttle linkage.

#19. Prime the fuel system one hundred strokes.

#20. Start the engine.

#21. Use 50/50 solution of dish soap/water to inspect for prechamber combustion leaks.