Thread: books/research
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2002, 08:44 PM

Some Mercedes books are historic stories of the company and its achievements, not too useful when looking for a car...

For a nice intro to many Mercedes cars, I'd suggest Frank Barrett's "Illustrated Buyers Guide, Mercedes Benz". It's about $20 and gives the pros and cons of many models. Bookstore chains and Amazon will have it.

My interest is the early 280SL...this is a 113 chassis car along with the 230SL and 250SL. Since SL's are actively collected, and there were about 75,000 built between 1955 and 1971, there are a number of books about them. One of the best is "Original Mercedes SL" by Laurence Meredith. It covers the 300SL and the 190SL in detail as well as the 113 cars.

A good place to look for books is the web site of barnes&noble.com and amazon.com. Select the Books category then search on Mercedes Benz. I'd guess that 50 to 100 books will come up.

A search on google.com for mercedes and a model number such as "mercedes 280sl" will lead to many sites including how to buy, cars for sale, technical info etc.
Richard M