View Single Post
Old 02-07-2002, 03:27 AM
enjylfe

Tuesday, February 5, 2002

http://www.canoe.ca/CNEWSLaw0202/04_dog-sun.html

Boy cried woof!

Now says teens weren't involved in dog's death
By RAQUEL EXNER -- Edmonton Sun

Ten-year-old David Barney holds the leash of his dog Sheba. (Edmonton Sun, Christine Vanzella)
EDMONTON -- A 10-year-old boy confessed to police last night that he lied about three teens hanging his dog in front of him at a St. Albert playground on the weekend.

David Barney told police he tied his dog to the top of a slide, then told his dog to stay while he went down.

Sheba, the family dog, didn't listen and tried to jump onto the slide - hanging herself in the process.

"I'm sorry for lying," said a subdued David last night, vowing to never lie again.

"I thought my parents would be mad at me. (I've learned) if you lie, you'll get into trouble," said David.

His mom, Donna, said she was also crushed by the revelation, because the story gained international attention.

People wanting to help the family were calling the house, the local RCMP detachment and The Sun offering reward money and replacement pets.

"I'm hurt because he lied," she said. "We thought he was telling the truth. It was an accident, and we're not mad at him.

"I hope people understand ... we're really sorry, and thanks to everyone for their concern."

But now she's afraid of repercussions. "I'm really scared people will take their anger out on my son, my husband and myself.

"I don't need to be followed down the street and swore at."

RCMP Cpl. Kelly Anctil said she's not mad at David, even though the office fielded between 400 and 500 calls from across North America. They even received e-mails from concerned folk in Finland.

"In one way we're relieved ... there isn't three boys running around doing something as horrible as the accusations."

But she did note David could have been charged with mischief if he'd been older.

He confessed to an RCMP composite artist who was trying to do sketches of the suspects.

Ian Toon, a district manager for PJ's Pet Centres - which had already collected thousands of dollars in reward money - said he was shocked and angry.

"It's very disappointing. That was quite the show the little boy put on. We all fell for it, because we all love animals."

On Saturday afternoon, David took the family dog to a playground at Sir Alexander Mackenzie elementary school, less than half a block from his St. Albert home.

He claimed three male teenagers came across him playing with his German shepherd-cross and used Sheba's leash to hang her from a slide, strangling the dog while he watched.