View Single Post
Old 12-15-2007, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert W. Roe View Post
I had someone yell at me for smoking a cigarette within maybe 20' of a Shell pump. I was tempted to reply with !@#!@#!@ but I was thinking about the packing heat part, even prior to this thread.
Plus it was in a township where I wouldn't want to tick off the local cops...

Also I got into a conversation a while ago at our local Sheetz ... ok at the entrance to the store, not at the pump .... with a college kid who was gassing up his Jetta.
I was telling him about a recent downhill run where my R320 CDI averaged over 29 mpg over 35+ miles or so, and he said that's about what the best that he got with his gas auto trans Jetta.
Funny (?) thing was, after a leisurely stop and a car wash at said Sheetz, a two door coupe ran the red light (going 40-45 mph at least) at the intersection where I had *just* begun to enter the intersection, and I was able to panic stop to avoid getting t-boned by this maniac. I was thanking BAS and ABS because I felt both kick in that evening... scary stuff....
Robert how you liking the R320CDI? I was thinking that is what we will replace the wife's 91 with in the year or two. I talked to one guy in southern IL that told me he was averaging about 30/32 mpg depending on speed on the interstate (IL has 65 mph limit) and about 25 mpg in town, this was back last summer. He had an '07 with quite a few miles on the thing, IIRC it had about 30k miles on the clock. The guy said he had not had any trouble with the rig and love it for traveling, which I gathered he did a lot of for those miles.

I average about 32/33 because I burn the highway up, but in town when I checked my over all this tank I am averaging a shade over 27 mpg which I am happy with considering the size and power of the car. Sure I would like the city/hwy mpg of our VW TDI's we used to have, just didn't like the shoe box fit for my 6'5" body and wife didn't like her butt dragging the ground as she use to say. When I ran across the 91 and bought it for her she fell in love with it and it has been the only car in 33 years we been married that she hasn't started complaining about month after buying.

Now for a fuel pump story. This last fill up it was me blocking the pumps for a change. Seems all three pumps are close to gather and no one was at pump so I pull in with filler close to the diesel pump for a change blocking the others and just getting ready to stick the hose in when two gassers roll up to get gas. Should have seen the nasty looks with me in "backwards" pumping diesel into my big white MB sedan. The one guy was laughing and I'm sure telling his wife I had the wrong pump, but little did he know I have 50% better fuel fuel range with only a 2 gallon bigger tank.

'13 Chrysler 200 Touring Candy Red. Grandma's ride.

Age and cunning will always over come youth and vigor.