View Single Post
Old 12-20-2007, 11:32 AM
I told you so!

The old design is called hub-in-rotor. The new design is a separable hub and rotor. Many, if not most, american cars now use non-serviceable separable hubs.

I work for a bearing manufacturer and I handle the technical end of warranty. We never recommend just adding grease to automotive wheel bearings. We always recommend a complete wash of the old grease before relubing with fresh grease. I've never heard of graphite, moly, or any kind of grease to result in skidding on a wheel bearing. Skidding is a phenomenon that generally occurs in lightly loaded bearings in clearance subjected to high accelerations... automotive wheel bearings just don't fit in that category.

Who is this Shell tech representative? I guess that's why we don't do business with Shell and instead do business with Mobil and Kluber. Although I do agree (like I said earlier) that a bearing can be damaged from improper maintenance.

How would you know if the seals were working properly and the grease isn't compromised unless you took the bearings apart? Automotive wheel bearings can get funky after a while, considering the environment they're subjected to.

Last edited by Kestas; 12-20-2007 at 11:38 AM.