View Single Post
Old 12-21-2007, 10:03 PM

* Spinedoc, Many thanks for the reply and conclusion. Guess you're going to wash your hands completely of the old engine, and not really try to pinpoint the causes. Wish I was there. I've done several hundred engines in my time and find it interesting to establish the "forensic timeline" of an engine's demise.
* Be sure to check a few things on your replacement engine before you put it in the car. The most important item would be a cylinder leakage test. That can be easily accomplished (with a relatively inexpensive leak-down tester) with the engine on the floor. In fact, it can be checked before it's even off-loaded from the delivery truck. For my money, any value over 25% on any cylinder and the motor should be refused.
* If the cylinders seal well, check the crank seals. If the engine has been pressure washed, you won't have any evidence of prior leakage and should just go ahead and replace the 2 seals while the engine is still out. With the engine in the car, those seals are a lot more trouble. Of course plugs and valve cover gaskets are easier out of the car too. I know you said 27K miles. Be sure that the odometer wasn't broken for several years in that 27K car (common problem; good speedometer indication but no odometer function). Yes, it's all happened to me.
* Best of luck to you. Give the car some good work now and, if you're still interested in getting rid of it, you'll be able to take your time selling it for top dollar.