View Single Post
Old 12-22-2007, 01:19 PM
Ran when parked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWGuru&BenzFan View Post
Man, that's sad to see an Alfa in the junkyard. I've seen one in recent years - a 164.

I've seen one W114 in my recent visits; a 220 Diesel. I saw two W108s yesterday (both 280SE/SELs) and I seem to always see at least 10 300Es or 190Es. Most of them are 20 years old, give or take. For an MB to be on the road for 20 years is amazing.

I very rarely see MORE than three W123s, and I have yet to see more than three W126 diesels in a junkyard. The W126s I see are almost always 420SELS and 560SELs, and seeing an SEC in the junkyard makes a part of me hurt inside

I often wonder what relegates these cars to the junkyard. Sometimes you'll get a car that is in good shape, but it might need a repair that economically doesn't make sense. It is undeniable that many of these cars we own aren't for those without deep pockets and a great love for the cars, or both.
164s, meh. What's sad is there's a junkyard here that used to have all sorts of Alfas, including a GTV, an Alfetta Sedan (rare in these parts), a couple of Fiat X1/9s, an MG-C, Saab Sonnetts, etc. Those cars are all gone. Another one had some Renault 4CVs, three Fiat 850s, an X1/9 and all those have been crushed as well. All of those cars (save for a wrecked Lancia) were restorable and fairly rare.

Yeah, in my opinion, a car should only be junked if it's hit beyond repair or something of the sort. Otherwise, somebody will pick up on it and fix it up. I've seen SO many cars that should never have ended up in a junkyard.

Another bad one was a 1980 Saab 900 Turbo (first year for the turbos).. I drove the car, was about to buy it, then the guy was driving it and the axle went, he junked it. Such a solid car otherwise and an axle isn't a big deal.

I regularly see W123s though there were none last time I went to Pick N' Pull. They did have a 300E with 434k on the clock (who knows if that's accurate) and a 300SD that was probably involved in a pileup (hit really hard in the rear, slightly in the front). I don't think I've ever seen more than one W126 at a time but they're regularly in there. 190s are everywhere.

I guess I'm not the only person here fascinated with junkyard finds? I have plenty more photos of MB junkyard finds.

P.S.-- hood stars ALWAYS seem to be missing. Too bad, I need one for my 300D.

P.S. II-- should we start a thread about diesel MB junkyard finds? If nothing else it could be a neat way for people to find parts.

Last edited by alfa 75; 12-22-2007 at 01:35 PM.