View Single Post
Old 12-23-2007, 04:34 AM
88Black560SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 560slsteve View Post
Today i changed oil in the 560-1987 with 149k miles. in the oil pan after dumping the filter, i found pieces of a black plastic part that looks like a plastic bushing of some kind with a lip on it. it appeared to be about 1/2 inch in diameter or slightly less, judging from the half piece i found of it. the length of it might be 1/2" long or so.

I am not sure if this came from the sump or the oil filter, but i noticed it after dumping the filter canister.

the car is running fine at speed, plenty of power and acceleration. i have been putting more road mileage on it lately as i travel out of town more often and love to drive it. it does miss at idle, a common problem i have found on this forum and one that i have been chasing gradually. I have replaced the injectors and holders, seals,,etc; new plug wires, etc. the usual as everyone does on this forum. i have also cheked all the vacuum lines with a hand pump and have determined that the thermovac valves are working and no vacuum leaks that i have found. I have also sprayed the intake manifold with carb cleaner and can find no changes. i changed fuel filter and am down to having the fuel distributor rebuilt, which is my last hope i guess. it does surge sometimes on coasting downhill at speed. AND i also checked compression on each cylinder, and they were all near 135.

Now i have found this plastic piece in the oil, and was wondering if anyone here knows what this could be. i dont know if the timing chain has ever been replaced, or if any plastic part possibly from there can get to the sump, but there is no noise up there that i can hear.

I would appreciate any ideas on this, as well as any suggestions of what i might have missed on idle miss.

thanks and happy holidays.

steve
Do you still have your old oil filter there should be a rubber grommet at each end.

John Roncallo