View Single Post
Old 02-09-2002, 07:11 PM

good point

Instead of taking friday off, I should start the job on Saturday and plan on taking Monday if needed.

I like Peter's suggestion about keeping tension on the timing chain...lifting the head slightly, then sliding a stiff piece of metal under the head and through both sides of the chain..a piece of flat brazing rod or a small piece of 3/16" bar stock from Home Depot would work just fine.

I think I see about removing the cam gear...I do need to remove the chain tensioner thereby providing enough slack so I can slip the chain off the cam gear after detaching it from the shaft. Thats why the MBZ manual, as well as you folks, indicate the need to mark the position of the chain on the cam gear.

Another thing, the reconditioned head will likely have been refaced...thus I would need to set start of delivery. I did this once and could not loosen the bracked at the back end of the IP...at the time I only needed to move the IP slightly..and I could do this with a pry bar and just bend the support bracket. This time I may actually need to move the IP more....any hints on getting at the rear IP support bracket ( I have the drip tube and know how to do the rest).

Thanks again,

Mark