View Single Post
Old 02-09-2002, 10:13 PM

Mark:

The IP has a bolt with a 13mm head that supports the back end. Loosen the 13mm head bolt to allow the IP to move to adjust the start of delivery. You do not need to loosen the IP rear support bracket at the engine block. The best way to reach this bolt is between the oil cooler lines using a ratchet head wrench made by Gear Wrench (a combo ratchet head and open end wrench). You can buy the Gear Wrench at O'Reilly's Auto Parts or Ace Hardware - either the 13mm or the 1/2" Gear Wrench will work.

I have a 300D head on my bench right now and the camshaft gear will not fit through the opening in the head with the timing chain idler gear in place (M-B uses the same cam gear for the 240D and both 300D's - turbo and non). The only way to leave the timing chain and cam gear connected is to remove the idler gear - a PIA and should be avoided, but you can do what you want to do. The idler gear interference is why I used stretch cords to keep tension on the timing chain (I had to remove the cam gear) since I was doing this by myself. There is a chance the timing chain can skip a tooth on the crankshaft gear - so keeping tension on the chain at all times will help avoid this (I did have the chain skip a tooth on the cranshaft gear, but I was able to fiddle the chain to skip one tooth to regain timing).

Planning on taking Monday off sounds like a good idea in case something happens and you need parts.

Good Luck!
Tom

1977 300D: 300,000+ miles

American Honda: Factory Trained Technician & Honor Grad.
Formerly:
Shop Foreman;
Technical Advisor to Am. Honda;
Supervisor of Maintenance largest tree care co. in US for offices in Tex.