View Single Post
Old 02-10-2002, 02:59 AM
SV

When I was talking about horsepower, I wasn't talking about camaro's or mustang's, that's way different. I'm talking about the audi a4, the acura cl, bmw 3-series, and the lexus is300.

Don't tell me MB can't build a engine with a lot of horsepower that can be reliable as well because we all know that they can. MB really hasn't made a lot of changes to the engines over the years. They just drop the bigger size engine in, like in the W203 C320. After 11 + years, the SL (R230) is going to have less power than the R129. It's not about HP on paper, it's about HP when you drive.

The cars are getting heavier because people want more, more of everything. The new engine in the 745i is putting out 330 HP will the S500 which has a .5L bigger engine is putting out 28 HP less. MB could easily get so much more HP out of that engine. They just have not chosen to do so. My general opinion: MB has gotten too conervative with their lower level of engines. Take the W203 C240 into consideration. 168 HP?? 0-60 in over 8 seconds? Now I know it's not meant to be an all out sports car, but you have to admit, for a 3300 lbs. car that's pretty weak. Maybe I should just keep quiet until I see what MB does with the GDI engines, which I hope will be a lot.