View Single Post
Old 12-26-2007, 09:06 PM
88Black560SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife View Post
I have an Ansa on my 560SL, I think it is OK but the muffler on the car when I got it was basically a can of iron oxide dust, so I don't have a good baseline on what the car should sound like with new, OEM parts (like when it was new).

From what I understand, the center muffler ahead of the rear muffler has a lot to do with the sound. I am certain that my 380's center muffler is shot because replacing an obviously shot muffler on it with a new Ansa made virtually no change in the sound of the car.
That is exactly what I have found with my 88 560SL. I replaced a totally shot rear muffler. It was so bad you could take the can and slide it back and fourth over the tubes. When I put the new Bosel on it did not change the sound at all.

I do know what these cars sound like, because I was a technician at an MB dealer when these cars were in production. The engine should be quiet with no throaty drone until you put the pedal all the way to the floor.

My 1986 560SL (before I pulled out the engine) had a good stock MB rear muffler. It also had its forward muffler replaced by a universal CAT, I guess to pass California emissions, where it came from. That car sounded just like a new 560SL, quiet but with a throaty drone at full throttle. I have been soaking the muffler with PB blaster in hopes to put the MB muffler from my 86 on my 88.

John Roncallo