View Single Post
Old 02-11-2002, 08:53 PM
backwoods member

A lot can go wrong with computer keyboards. First you have to press the key down enough to send the scan code to the processor (i.e. make a character), second, since so many folks live in front of their computer, the keyboard catches little bits of hair, finger nails, pins, pens, straw, lint, food, pencil lead, and even chicken bones. In my 20 years of working with computers, I have pulled a lot of stuff from inside of keyboards. Insects are particularly copious at certain times of the year. Anyway, virtually anything can come between the contact of the key and the mechanism that makes contact. Once this happens, even though everything feels okay, the key will not send a scan code, and no characters will appear. Further, the process of pressing the key will sometimes clear the problem so that the next time you press the key, it works okay. Sometimes just the sweat and oils from your fingers will trickle down and cause this same problem. Lastly, there are some real pricks of viruses out there that will make a character disappear every so often. And if that weren’t enough, Mike is dead on in that there is simply a brain-finger misfire that happens.

The solutions: 1) compose off-line, run the spelling correction, and then cut and paste it into a reply (I’ve done this for 20 years and will continue to do so); 2) occasionally turn your keyboard upside down and shake it. You will be appalled at everything that comes out; 3) stand it on end and tap it against the table top. Do this all the way around and then shake it out some more. 4) If this doesn’t work, you can either spend an hour taking it apart (fun to do just to learn a little about how these are made) and cleaning it or, 5) get some air in a can and blow it out aggressively; or my favorite: 6) spend a $20 or so and get a new keyboard. Life is too short to get frustrated by finger exercises! Of course, that’s easy for me to say as I have about 14 spare keyboards…..

Cheers

'00 ML320 "Casper"
'92 400E "Stella"