View Single Post
Old 02-13-2002, 11:43 AM

Mark:

I like the Gear Wrench also - I bought the Snap-On ratcheting wrenches when they were first made and although they work great (very strong) they are a bit large to fit into some tight places and the ratchet gears are course also making them unuseable in tight places. The one Sanp-On ratcheting wrench that I've used a lot is a small one (5/16" x 1/4") that I can use either a Phillips head or slotted screw bit with - works great in those tight places where a short stubby screwdriver will not fit into or if the stubby does fit I can't get enough force on it to R&R the fastener (a Yankee works well also - it is a stubby ratchet with two sizes of slotted screw biu on it - plus I have several other 90 degree screwdrivers).

The oil cooler lines can be a real bear to remove, especially if they have not been removed before. You will see that there is fitting that screws into the oil cannister that the cooler lines then screw into. You may need a thin wrench on the fitting to prevent the fitting from turning (failing that then you may need to remove the cooler lines at the oil cooler and the holding clamp by the fuel pump and then unscrew the cooler line with the fitting still attached, then clamp the fitting into a vise to loosen it from the cooler line). I had to use a 15" adjustable wrench on the cooler lines and it took a lot of force to loosen them.

The AC lines can be rebuilt for a fraction of the cost compared to new lines. There should be at least one AC supply/repair business in your area that can replace the hose part that attaches to the metal part of the AC lines. I paid about $40-$45 total to have both of my AC lines rebuilt with hose that was better than the M-B AC hose. Hydraulic lines (oil cooler, power steering, etc.) can also be rebuilt at heavy equipment or hydraulic supply/repair shops also for a fraction of the cost of new lines. Call around to find these places.

Inspect your trans oil cooler lines for condition. These can be bought cheap at Fast Lane. I'm just now replacing mine, but they are still in good condition without leaks. Cheap insurance against ruining the trans.

My fan clutch is older than yours and still works as it should. You can check yours for correct operation and if it is OK then you can save that $ for something else. The ones that I've looked at all leak a bit of oil and that oil is covered with dirt - they look worse than they really are. One thing to keep in mind when removing the fan clutch is to keep it in an upright position so the oil does not run out - so don't lay it on its side for any length of time (a few minutes is OK as you're removing things and your hands may be full and/or you've gotten into a hard to achieve position to work).

Good Luck!
Tom

1977 300D: 300,000+ miles

American Honda: Factory Trained Technician & Honor Grad.
Formerly:
Shop Foreman;
Technical Advisor to Am. Honda;
Supervisor of Maintenance largest tree care co. in US for offices in Tex.