View Single Post
Old 01-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Moderating, Eh?

When I upgraded my 300E's system, I was all hot to replace the stock speakers as well.

However, my experience taught me that the stock speakers are actually quite good (on the W124 anyway). What they really needed was proper (clean) power and appropriate crossovers.

When used stock, those small 4" speakers are asked to reproduce the entire sonic spectrum dished out by your head unit, so probably something like 30Hz-20K Hz. They simply cannot reproduce the 'low' lows. Combine that with a lack of power from the head unit alone and there is the main reason for the poor sound.

Add a good amp, set the crossover to something like 80 Hz and you may be surprised just how good the stock speakers sound.

Also important is how securely and tight the stock speakers fit into the dash. This is critical to the speaker's response, particularly for bass. If you do replace them, try and make sure the new ones fit just as well, otherwise, you are probably worse off than before. If the new speakers sound 'brighter' it may be the lack of bass you are hearing instead of an overall improvement in high-end response.
1998 E430 - sold
1989 300E - 333,000 Km - sold
1977 280E - sold
1971 250 - retired

"And a frign hat. They gave me a hat at the annual benefits meeting. I said. how does this benefit me. I dont have anything from the company.. So they gave me a hat." - TheDon