View Single Post
Old 01-15-2008, 07:23 PM
88Black560SL

I have measured the 560SL radiator at least 100 times by now. There is only one area wider than 27.5" and that is the area where the rubber mounts clip on. If you are not using these mounts there is no reason you cant carfully cut them off. It sounds to me like you did not get a 560SL radiator.

I'm in sort of a very similar tough spot. I need to pack 389 HP of M120 V12 cooling into the area a 227 HP M117 radiator. New OE radiators (Not after market) use advanced technology to accomplish this. I have found that the radiator from the 2005 to 2007 Chrysler 300 SRT8, 6.1L Hemi engine has a core that I believe I can be used if I can find someone to take the radiator apart and weld my tanks on it. It is basically a 6.1 Liter engine with 425 HP. If you have 27.5" rail spacing this core can be custom made to fit your application as well. This is what I've been investigating all last weekend. Unfortunately the Dealer list 4 P/N's for this radiator and requires a Vin to get the right one. So I need to do a job like go from car to car measure cores and get the Vin of the one I want. The after market suppliers, Visteon list one P/N and Spectra list two P/N's, I would not trust the after market rads unless I saw it. Visteon is an OE manufacturer, and IF there after market rad for this application is a 36mm "B" tube with 5/16" tube spacing that would be the best solution.

And buy the way, as these projects go, thats not a road block. It's just a speed bump.

John Roncallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYNAVY View Post
I've reached a small roadblock in my w201 m117 swap. I had originally planned on using the rad from a 560SL, and went ahead and ordered one. Well it arrived yesterday, and very quickly during the test fit it became apparent that it wasn't going to fit. The major limiting factor is the clearance between the two frame rails (which are spaced around 27.5" apart), while the majority of the radiator is 28" or more in a couple spots. So this is really a no go since I'm not going to mess around with the frame to fit a radiator.

My question is if anyone has any ideas for what I should use? I'd LIKE to use a factory radiator (makes it easier for replacement later on, and would use factory style connections for trans cooler), but I will obviously go custom if nothing else works.

I measured the rad on my C43, and it looks like it is even wider than the one for the 560SL, so that really wont work. I'm wondering specifically about the w203 C55 (not sure if that would be wider in front than the 202), and really any other MB v8 sedan. I'm thinking the 124 500E/E500 might also be an option. Also, I know a couple folks here have done V8 190e swaps, so do any of you have any advice? Thanks guys!

Last edited by Roncallo; 01-15-2008 at 07:35 PM.