View Single Post
Old 01-19-2008, 11:19 PM
Moderating, Eh?

lee - I had over 300,000 Kms on my 300E when I sold it. The car had the oil leak from this location since Day 1. Consumption would vary. On long highway trips, high revs, I'd have to add a fait bit of oil, say about 1L/800Km or so, sometimes more. Less when city driving, and less in the winter. All of which was consistent with the oil leak. Always carried oil in the trunk.

I never had any issues with the engine other than this leak. Car still have original everything when I sold it - valve stems, etc. All original. Ran perfectly. No visible signs of oil consumption (no blue smoke, etc.) and plugs were clean. Emissions (cat) also fine.

I tried to fix that leak several times - even bought a new timing chain cover piece. Had the gasket sealed several times, also the camshaft seal. Didn't help, it still leaked.

On the plus side, my engine was spotlessly clean inside. The cam/rockers glistened.

Down side, I went through a fair bit of oil. Though I sometimes wonder if adding all that fresh oil helped keep the engine so clean and helped prolong its longevity and remarkable long-term performance.

So long story short, yes, you can lose a fair bit of oil from this leak, especially when the engine is hot and working hard.

Just my $0.02.
1998 E430 - sold
1989 300E - 333,000 Km - sold
1977 280E - sold
1971 250 - retired

"And a frign hat. They gave me a hat at the annual benefits meeting. I said. how does this benefit me. I dont have anything from the company.. So they gave me a hat." - TheDon