View Single Post
Old 01-20-2008, 08:37 PM
registered biodiesel user

I have a wagon but a lot of the concepts are similar, especially in the front. Either remove the wiring from the fader and bring the wires back up to the head or run new wires to the speakers. I chose the former as there will never be a situation where I can see needing a physical fader wheel in there ever again and I can reuse that console position for something else later. For the time being, I've left the disconnected wheel there instead of a hole.

I replaced the head with a Dual XHD-6425
http://www.dualav.com/receivers/xhd6425.html

front speakers: Boss Chaos CH3220 3.5" 2-way
rear speakers: Pyle PLS-40 4" 2-way

Nothing high-end but significantly better than stock. Much brighter and more detail that the 22 yr old paper cones that were replaced. Replacing the 3.5s up front with 4s would go a long way but sinking them below the deck as I did with the 3.5s (to accomodate the dome tweeter) would require either widening the hole a bit or removing the dash to mount them. Making the hole slightly oval would probably do it - just enough to pass the speaker through sideways. The low-profile Pyles I put in back would certainly clear the air duct - taller speakers, probably not... not sunken like that anyway and that's what allowed me to put 2-ways in with raised dome tweeters and not have to modify the factory dash grilles in any way. The speakers all look perfectly stock and only the late model head unit looks like it's been modernized.

If anyone's interested in how I sunk the speakers in that hole, I'd be happy to post pics. I did the same for the rears so that I didn't have to modify the headliner cover.

Now I just have to solve the obviously missing low-end w/o sticking a box in the back.. we use that area too much to break it up with a box - even if it's a quick-disconnect situation I'd be hauling it in and out of there all the time. I'd prefer something permanent and msotly hidden... doesn't have to shake the world, just fill in the low end.