View Single Post
Old 01-20-2008, 09:36 PM
Benzless Scoutmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricLee31 View Post
Iiiiiinteresting...

How much clearance does that sub cone have to the spare tire? Seems like that cover would be a little too flimsy and unsecured for a sub cone... it'd move so much you'd lose half the efficiency of the cone. Maybe some firm padding at the perimeters to make it actually contact the tire itself and make it a more solid structure? Is there any kind of box behind the cone to confine it to resonating air forward?

I presume that amp is buried under the carpet most of the time... doesn't that make it pretty warm?
There is a little more than an inch before the magnet would touch the mounting hardware for the spare. An 8" sub would fit better than the 10" I used. I did use high density foam to support the cover against the tire. I didn't put any other box behind it, just the spare cover with a sub mounted into it. The amp is mounted to the door on the other side where the first aid kit goes. It seems to have plenty of space to keep from overheating, at least it hasn't yet. I have the amp adjusted to allow the sub to fill out the sound, not create thumping bass hits. I would use a cabinet for that.
OBK#44
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work." - Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

SOLD
1985 300TD - Red Dragon
1986 300SDL - Coda
1991 - 300TE
1995 - E320
1985 300CD - Gladys