View Single Post
Old 01-22-2008, 05:05 PM
Geplatzt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
Bill - I'll try to help and stay OT......here is a post I made a while ago for my 300E, I was researching the exact same thing you are - drop-in fit Infinitys, no mods...

W124 speaker replacement - 120mm size - Infinity?

What I found is that basically, the 4" Infinity's are too small and the 5.25" are too big. The problem is that the stock speakers are metric - they are 120mm in diameter.

So...you can shop around all day trying to find a big 4" or a small 5.25" that may fit closely, but you won't get that tight seal around the dash critical for bass response without modification - which you don't want to do.

The only drop-in that I have heard of - that was designed to 'drop-in' - are the Rainbows, which I believe are currently discontinued, and potentially MB Quart as well.

I ended up giving up on replacing the stock speakers and simply added an amp - which did more than any replacement speaker could have done alone. When I upgraded the Becker head unit to an Alpine model (high output) that made a big difference. When I added the Alpine amp, that made the biggest difference!

Good luck!
What about the Infinity 4"x6"metric size? I read about those and was wondering if those were designed for an MB rear deck. It sounds too big for the dash.

1994 E500 199/Gray 82k
84 300D (Salty) Orient Red/Palomino 141k
88 300CE (Ersatzhammer) 904/Java 163k -- Turbo Technics twin turbo kit, AMG Gen I body kit, Sportline steering box and steering wheel, Sportline/Eibach /Bilstein Sport/500E suspension, Quaife LSD in 210 mm diff case, Silver Arrow brakes.
88 300CE Brabus 3.6 199 on Black 44k