View Single Post
Old 01-27-2008, 12:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0000 View Post
Hi Brian thanks for posting,

I am performing three glow cycles due to the fact it will not start otherwise. The weather has been down to the single digets. I can start it 30F and above pretty easily but 20's and lower difficult to start. I am using synthetic Rottella
a new battery, but reciently found out the block heater is not working. I have not adjusted valves for 20K and know it needs to be done, the car is approaching 250,000.

Mike
Single digits are tough on older engines. Unless you're quite fortunate and the valves have not worn significantly, these engines will struggle at that temperature.

Adjusting the valves to spec will definitely assist in a cold start. If the intake valve is just the slightest bit below spec, it can hang the valve at those temperatures. In fact, I'd adjust the intakes to .005" to be on the safe side.

I'm not sure it you want to spend any money, but, the 617 in the SD will start in one second at 0°F. and it has 208K on the clock. The new valves at 185K made all the difference in the world in terms of fuel economy and cold start performance. It's $1K well spent.