View Single Post
Old 01-27-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michakaveli View Post
Can someone elaborate or re-direct to a thread that explain how "cracking an injector line" assists in diagnosing a faulty injector. Not to hijack the thread but also in hopes of further explaining/diagnosing how this procedure works and the original poster....

I know that my my OM606 there is at least injector that has been consistently nailing ever since I bought the car but clears up once warmed up. When just loosening the nut on the metal injector line at the injector, does that essentially shut down that cylinder and resulting in no new/current combustion noises?
Yes, you understand it. In a sense what you are doing is comparing the good injectors/cylinder to the one tha might have the problem. If all of your injectors are preforming well or the same; each time you crack open one of the injectors and "shut down a cyliner" you should get the same degree of negative resopnse for all of the good injectors. The engine would run rougher and ther RPMs would drop (nice to have a tach for this).
when you crack open the no good/poor injector there will not be as much of a change in the rough running or RPM. I short your engine will not miss the cutting off of the poor or no good injector as much as a good one.

Now all this being said the technique narrows it down to what cylinder is having the problem. It may not be the injector itself that is causing the problem and there could be something in the cylinder itself (low compression for instance could be caused by cracked rings or a burned valve could also cause nailing).
But from there you go by what is most likely to cause the problem or least expensive to check; the injector is easy to pull out and test as well as looking at the fuel injection pump for leak at the delivery valves.
That's why this forum is nice. Read enough and you will get an idea of what is most likely to be the cause of certain problems.