View Single Post
Old 01-27-2008, 10:10 PM

Transmission great with new modulator/Now slipping dramatically.

1984 300D turbo
247,000 miles
About 10 days before Christmas I:
1.)replaced the green modulator valve
2.)drained the fluids, poured some TransX in to help with the seals.
2.) installed a new filter.
4.) Repaired a severe leak(brazed) to the steel line running from the transmission body to the cooler next the radiator.

The transmission shifted smoothly. Better than it ever has since owning the vehicle. Since I don't drive it everyday and can't say exactly when, the transmission has started strongly flaring in first when leaving from a stop sign. Today I change the fluids again.

1.)I put Mobil 1 synthetic in along with a can of BG transmission additive.
I did this because I read in another post that TransX does clean the "pipes" of the transmission. The guy said he replaced the filter after the additive was used and the transmission ran and shifted great. He said the filter was probably totally clogged from the cleaning. I added the BG because I do have a small seal leak, and the stuff is suppose to a quality product. I figured at this point it can't hurt.

NO CHANGE
I took it out this afternoon after changing the fluid.The engine really has to rev up substantially to get the transmission to engage. Once rolling along the car will still flare if you really step on it through the other gears. I have not adjusted anything as of yet,such as the bowden cable, or the modulator valve. I do know that I have a vacuum leak because my mighty vac won't hold a vacuum and I found several cracked connectors. However I would presume Ive had a vacuum leak for along time and didn't know it. I tested the vacuum lines while the car was off, and the gauge went from 16 to 5 in about 20 minutes. Would adjustment,a superior kit, B2 valve remedy the situation. I know I need to fix the vacuum problems. Any thought otherwise??
1984 300D Turbo 245K