View Single Post
Old 01-27-2008, 10:59 PM

In Search of Diesel Parts and Other Treasures

Well lately, the Virginia Beach 'Pick n Pull' has become one of my favorite stops when I'm down here, especially since the local 'Grand Junquetion' surplus store closed a few years ago.
Wish there was a Pick n Pull in the DC area. Pick n Pull of Virginia Beach is open 7 days, while most DC area yards, are only open 5 days, plus half-day Saturday.
Some price comparisons. Engine computer - DC area $150 - $200. Pick n Pull $25. Decent W123 front seat - DC area $50 - $75. Pick n Pull $14. The downsides of the Pick n Pull include a small foreign-car section, and they only keep a vehicle 30 days before it gets crushed!

This trip I went looking for an engine computer for a friend's '87 BMW 528e, and to see if there was anything availible for my pair of 240Ds. Two fellow W123 owners had the same idea, as there was a rusty white Euro 280E and a pristine silver '85 300D parked near me. (Pretty certain the 300D was an '85 since the tags read '85 W123') Didn't get to meet as both were gone when I came back to my car.

Unfortunately, the only two '80s BMW computers had already been scavenged, and there were no W123s this time, but I did snag a four-band (L M K U) Becker Europa cassette radio out of a Euro W126 280SE, for $9. If it works, it's going in one of my diesels. It sure would be nice to have shortwave in one of my cars again.

As for the rest of the afternoon, I scavenged a spare fuel pump, some window regulators with motors, and some other miscellaneous items for my '98 Nissan Altima. That Pick n Pull car will be gone by my next trip down here, so I better grab some cheap spares when I can.

Happy Motoring, Mark