View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 10:30 PM

Thanks for the good thoughts. Yes, I've had at the bolt with propane and vice-grips etc. I need more drastic measures and I'm cautious about going to hotter flames because of the alluminum.

Would you heat the allum timing cover with Oxy/A? I would think it would get too hot. Plus I'd have to heat from the back side toward the fuel distributor which worries me.

Yes, the pump is off; I did all the tricks I knew when removing the bolt, but after all that; I decided it was more important to get the pump off than to wait it out. The failed bolt is the second to the bottom, lower left hand side. It is the one behind the thermostat cover. It's one of the shorter ones, but it's still about 2.5" total. 2" of the bolt is still in the cover, only the last 0.25" peeks out.

Is it a lot more work to remove the timing cover at this stage? If removing the cover meant I could get a better grip at the bolt and a clear shot at the threads with a penetrating oil, then I'm sure I could get the thing out mechanically but that's a lot more work than I intended. I assume I'd have to remove the distributor, hydraulic pump etc???

If I get really lazy or in a bind, I'm going to weld a stainless steel stud to the bold head and just secure the pump with a nut; but I'm worried about arc-welding on the engine while sharing the ECM's ground.