View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 12:47 AM
Benzless Scoutmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyL View Post
Do you have pics of the foam strips that you used to stuff in between the coils? Were they long, as in from front of seat to back, or were they thin strips? Were did you get the foam, and what was it like {ie: one thick piece you cut up, thin strips/layers?}
My rear wagon seat is horrible and I need to try and do half as good a job as you did. Yours' turned out great!
Also, to sew in the strips, did your thead go out through the seams in the top of the seat. What did you use for thread type and color?
Question carpet-bombing over.....
Thanks for the compliment.

The foam I used started out as a few sheets of 2'x2' x 3" thick high density foam that I had been saving for years but don't remember how I came to have it. I didn't have enough so I purchased the green foam from JoAnn Fabrics to finish stuffing. The green foam was 4" thick. I cut everything into strips and discovered they can be fit into the springs like in the pics I posted. I put the strips all around the edges and used a combination of strips and "cubes" of foam to fill the center until it was the firmness I wanted.

I used heavy-duty, waxed upholstery thread with a tapestry needle and a thimble to save my finger tip when pushing the needle through the MB-Tex. The thread was similar in color to the seat cover and I used the existing stitching holes in the cover to sew the new thread into and hold the new muslin under the ribs.

If you end up sewing your seat covers to repair the ribs, Use some spray adhesive to hold the felt ribs and the muslin in place while you sew. It makes it much easier to get the right spacing for the ribs too.

imagesinthewind,

I haven't taken apart the seat backs, but I imagine they would be of similar construction to the seat bottoms and the foam strips should work in them too. Good luck and post some pics of your process if you can.
OBK#44
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work." - Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

SOLD
1985 300TD - Red Dragon
1986 300SDL - Coda
1991 - 300TE
1995 - E320
1985 300CD - Gladys