View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 12:37 PM
Registered Biodiesel User

Boring scope

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstech View Post
how would one use one on a IDI motor?
I suppose you could pull the PC's but that SURE is a lot of work... less than pulling head though I guess.
You have to pull the injector and the glow plug, then the prechamber. Yes, less work than pulling the head.

Thanks for the leads. The San Diego rental place looks interesting. I have emailed them for their terms, i.e., how do they determine the number of days? If it's door-to-door on their end, it could get expensive. Even with overnight shipping (another expense!) it would be three days on their end. That would more than triple (counting the shipping) the cost of a single-day rental: $275 times 3 plus about $30 each way for overnight shipping is over $800 and if you get the camera option ($75/day) the total is $1100! I'll post here the results when they get back to me.

[edit] OK, they don't consider "in-transit" to be rental days but they do have a 1.5 day minimum, so if they ship on a Tuesday, you get the borescope on Wednesday and do your inspection and ship at the end of the day so they get it back on Thursday, you are charged 1-1/2 days ($412.50) plus FedEx Standard each way ($30-50 each way depending on whether you have an account that gets you cheaper rates). Approximately $500! If you want the camera option (might be nice to have pictures) that's another $112.50. [/edit]

The Harbor Freight scopes are (of course) the cheapies that many stores sell. I have not used one but people who have say they're not very good. Still, I'd like to have one for myself.

This is definitely a situation in which you get what you pay for. Aside from wanting a good image, the borescope must be able to go into the cylinder and twist from side to side so you can inspect the sidewalls.

So I'd still prefer to borrow or rent one locally or travel to a shop that can do the job for me.

Jeremy

"Buster" in the '95

Our all-Diesel family
1996 E300D (W210) . .338,000 miles Wife's car
2005 E320 CDI . . 113,000 miles My car
Santa Rosa population 176,762 (2022)
Total. . . . . . . . . . . . 627,762
"Oh lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz."
-- Janis Joplin, October 1, 1970

Last edited by Jeremy5848; 01-29-2008 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Update after talking to rental place