View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 09:22 PM
Man of the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewyattjr View Post
Well... here's the curious thing to me. If it were the speedo cable wouldn't it affect the odometer performance as well, or not? I'm thinking it has something to do with the speedometer mechanism itself?
I think your cable is fine, if it was sticking the speedo needle would be all kinds of jumpy, and if it didnt work nothing else would.
You mention you sprayed it with WD40, so I think you have 2 possibilities right now.
1. There is excess oil that has gotten or never been wiped out of the area where the magnetic coupling is, causing a fluid drag against the rotating half from liquid between the halves (this happened once on a car I had).
2. The WD40 is a thin solvent like oil that may have washed out the lubrication in the speedo needle bearing, causing it to drag against the rotating half of the coupling (it doesn't take much at all for this to happen). It would need just a very little bit of lube, a very small droplet of light machine oil or aviation instrument oil on the tip of a sewing needle would be plenty.
82 240D -for sale