View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Benzless Scoutmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by engatwork View Post
Get a long drill bit a little larger in diameter than the allen wrench that used to fit it and drill it till it falls out.
Thanks for this suggestion. I am going to try this next.

I think someone tried to replace these mounts before unsuccessfully. The driver side bolt was already rounded and the passenger side bolt was hidden because it looks like the engine was jacked up and tore the mount. When it was set down the bolt rested on top of the rubber of the mount. I stabbed the rubber out with a screwdriver from underneath so I can see the bolt head. I can't get my hex socket to fit in this side, I think due to the torn mount allowing the motor to sink. I'll try jacking it up slightly so I have a straight line to the bolt head.

I looked at the possibility of tearing the mounts out and removing the mount arm, but I can't even see all the bolts that hold it on and the ones I do see look like they'd be tough to loosen too. I'll find a long bit and drill out the bolts. Worst case, I'll drill all the way through the arm and use a bolt with washers and a nut to hold the new mount on.

A long day with nothing to show for it but some new tools, ideas for Plan "C" and possibly Plan "D"
OBK#44
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work." - Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

SOLD
1985 300TD - Red Dragon
1986 300SDL - Coda
1991 - 300TE
1995 - E320
1985 300CD - Gladys