View Single Post
Old 02-02-2008, 06:14 AM
I LOVE BRUNETTES

Thumbs up

Problem with 1991s are 1432 is a multicomponent system. Amps, tuner module, and headunit. Door speakers are nothing more than bandpass midbass drivers. Best is to just start fresh.

Trying to add an aftermarket headunit and retain anything else is just a huge pain. Best thing to do is this:

Buy a quality headunit. Forget about internal power, it's junk. High distortion (1-3% usually!) limited bandwidth (50-15k Hz at times). You need to consider high volt preouts, 4v min, and a good solid unit with any features you need/want (GPS, time correction, sat radio, MP3 files, etc). Alpine, Eclipse, Kenwood eXcelon, Pio Premier, etc.

Buy a nice small amplifier. 25-40x4 of CLEAN sound will blow you away. Full bandwidth, and low distortion. Look at JL Audio, old Precision Power, old Kicker, new Alpine. Again, you do not need a ton of power unless you're going nuts of have tons of drivers to amplify.

8awg wire is fine with this and some quality speaker wire with quality RCAs. I'd even recommend/consider a five or six channel amplifier in the even you want to add a single subwoofer down the line. 10-12" will be your bottom fill, no it doesn't have to sound like the Ol' Gs driving down the street in their '82 Cutlass on 22" Daytons.

Buy speakers. Everyone has their opinion. Go with something that's easy to drop into the 4x6M in the dash and sound nice to you. Yes, this means going out of the virtual shopping realm! Pioneer Premier has some that'll fit, Alpine do, Eclipse, and MB quart.

Rears will hold a 6.5" with a bit of swearing, drinking, and finesse. Door drivers are up to you. I'd just leave them unused for a full range speaker, they point at your elbow so unless you're going to install only midbass there skip them. Tweeters there and in the dash are going to mess up sound staging.

You'd also have to fart around with bandpassing them (high and low crossover points so it does not play out of its range) meaning more thinking/setting up. If you have the desire, go for it. There will be more mids from the vocals again, but if you did a small subwoofer you'd be fine without them.

But some good 4x6s and the 6.5s will play very nice. Cross the dash from 75-120Hz, listen or look at the vocal chart where they drop off. Do the same with the 6.5s"... 45-100Hz is typical. 12dB/oct is fine. I'd do 24dB/oct if you had yourself a single woofer. Anything more and the sounds becomes unnatural.

'85 300SD 245k
'87 300SDL 251k
'90 300SEL 326k

Six others from BMW, GM, and Ford.

Liberty will not descend to a people; a people must raise themselves to liberty.
[/IMG]