View Single Post
Old 02-02-2008, 09:47 PM

What I know about my system: Ancient Alpine HU, 7829, no front speakers, stock rear speakers, door speakers with the crossover disabled. With the crossover out, the door speakers just sound like ordinary mid-range drivers with absolutely no bass; the rears have minimal bass, sounds like old AM radio. With classical music, they sound pretty good, but anything rock, jazz you name it, unless the volume is LOUD you pretty much lose everything. If the car wasn't so quiet, the stereo would be useless. My VW radio is much better but the car is noisy!

Too bad you can't buy radios like the one in the Golf, all the controls are rotary knobs and you waste 0 time selecting, entering, BSing like you have to with the aftermarket heads. 3 separate knobs for tone controls! One of the HUs I looked at, you had to select FM, scroll through the stations that it could detect until you found the one you wanted, then hit 'enter.' Whoever designed that one must be in intensive care after having tried to use it while driving! I like to listen to 4 or 5 stations whenever I actually listen to radio - as soon as they start to rabbit on about something I should buy, I switch stations. Try that with that aftermarket. Who buys this stuff?

Anyway, thank you for the good advice: new HU, 2 new front speakers, a small 4-channel amp and 2 new rear speakers. I will go and look at the piggy bank and see what's in there.

Let's see, rear shocks (fronts done) or new stereo? New shocks/new stereo....hmmm.

"Xsbank's rules of mechanical intervention: Always go for the easiest solution first; 90% of what ails a gasoline engine is ignition; After that its all a WAG."