View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Registered Biodiesel User

Good question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds190 View Post
Is there also a vacuum controlled flap in the intake manifold just before the EGR which opens and closes depending on the open/close of the EGR valve?

If you just block off the EGR, and the computer tells it to open and the intake flap to close a bit, and nothing comes in from the EGR because it is blocked off, won't the engine be "air starved" and not run right?

Isn't that why someone modded the EGR by capping the hole in the exhaust manifold and adding a small filter on to the EGR tube so that it draws in fresh air when the computer tells it to open?
The flap to which you refer indeed closes most of the way, although it has a flat cut in it so there is always some airflow. Whether your combination of circumstances will indeed starve the engine I do not know. However, I did discover that the flex line to the EGR has an apparently-by-the-factory partial block-off in it (where it attaches to the EGR). The resulting orifice is only about the size of a dime so it won't pass much anyway. I'll try to post a photo tonight.

If my mod does cause problems I'll plumb a line from the EGR to the air cleaner box and let it breathe fresh air.

Jeremy

"Buster" in the '95

Our all-Diesel family
1996 E300D (W210) . .338,000 miles Wife's car
2005 E320 CDI . . 113,000 miles My car
Santa Rosa population 176,762 (2022)
Total. . . . . . . . . . . . 627,762
"Oh lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz."
-- Janis Joplin, October 1, 1970