View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesst View Post
It comes down to do what you want:
1) Road taxes don't actually go to roads. That was their original intention, but somewhere along the way the government decided to divert those funds to what THEY thought was the most important FIRST, and then secondarily to roads.
I don't usually get into this argument - but where are getting this statement from? I'm not baiting you - just asking.

Here in Pa - diesel is taxed at 0.38 per gallon. It's called the liquid fuels tax. Counties and municipalities get this money, based on how many miles of road they maintain. I'm currently designing 4 bridges that are being funded almost entirely from liquid fuels funding. Every spring - townships bid on road materials and bulk supplies for repairing/overlaying roads - all with liquid fuels funding.

If you are going to USE any liquid fuels money - it will be reviewed and approved by the state and EVERYTHING must meet their standards or they pull the funding.

Granted, I'm sure not all 38 cents/per gallon makes it way into these projects.....but a large portion of it is. So at least here in my little universe, your statement is not valid.