View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod;
I appreciate your feedback. Fortunately in my case, the shipyard I work at (we also perform Hatteras Warranty, I recently replaced a Cat C-32 Acert that Gregory Poole had installed a number of whose engines have been delivered with bad crankshafts) is an authorized MTU dealer and I was able to purchase the reman-engine at dealer cost.
Not a new one as I said. Can anyone buy a "reman" for less than a new engine? of course.
Quote:
Perhaps you could enlighten me with your "internet aquired mechanical expertise" and educate me since I only have 20 years of experience in the field.
I've been in the marine field for the last 20 years also. Here's a pic of me while I worked for Viking Yachts as a mechanic.
Quote:
I am currently rebuilding a Man R-6 that lost the second cylinder due to a failed injector, care to chime on your last major overhaul?
My current boat's port main 16-92 was rebuilt two years ago.
Quote:
I can't wait to forward this email to my boss, you guys are too funny.
Go ahead and forward it. Include this post. Your condescending tone will impress no one of quality.
Quote:
BTW, I was trained at the marine factory school for 4 weeks in Germany at MTU Fredrichshafen in 2003.
I await a list of your professional credentials and accomplishments.
I've worked and lived both on land and onboard as a engineer/captain/mechanic/crew member in Panama, Palau, Midway Atoll, The Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands, Guam, the Marshall Islands, Costa Rica, St. Thomas, South Florida, New York and Florida.
Oiled gauze filters are widely used on marine diesels from 800-2400 HP. Not all of them come stock with oiled gauze filters, however. The new commonrail 1550 MAN's for example do not, and some older MAN's as well did not. You with your experience certainly ought to know this. The marine environment is quite different than what you find on/off road. I don't believe this MTU has an oiled gauze filter.

This forum has a polite tone and gentlemen's line. I encourage you to adhere to it.

Last edited by MTUpower; 02-12-2008 at 06:36 PM.