View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008, 11:30 PM
Dan Fernandez

leaking tranny fluid

I just replaced my tranny fluid and filter after about 2.5 years. It had been shifting badly, slipping, and going from stop to moving was painful to bear.
Anyway, I was down to 2 quarts! Ouch! Nothing at all came out of the torque converter when I emptied it. Anyway, come to think of it, I do remember a leak of some sort over time that subsided later. Anyway, I replaced the tranny pan plug and O-ring with a new one, but I did not for the torque converter - I used the old plug and what I think was an old O-ring I found that fit, since the old o-ring was warped. I filled it with 6.5 quarts ATF and the level seems perfect. While my car runs great now, it definitely leaks. Some of it seems to come from the TC bolt area, but some also seems to come from the rear part of the tranny. Could this all be from the same source (possibly the TC bolt)? I want to try to eliminate this leak as much as possible. I guess I will go to the dealer and see if they have a new TC bolt and O-ring. Does anyone else have any suggestions?
1996 Mercury Villager gasser. ~ 20 mpg