Thread: Toyota Diesel
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2008, 11:16 AM

my car has the 1.5L 3A its not a bad engine for the car. but I've always wanted it to be a diesel. I HATE the carburetor on that thing. has about 25 vacuum lines. and people say the Mercedes vacuum system is complicated. if one of those lines goes bad or falls off and the car starts running like crap. I have a Hitachi carburetor off of a 72 Datsun 510 (no vacuum lines) that I'm going to install on it (when I'm not being smog tested) but even with that, its still not as cool as a diesel.

as far as that engine bolting up to the transmission... there is nothing that can't be modified.. if necessary. i thought about putting a 240D's engine in it, but the Toyota is just to small to accommodate it.

"3rd generation Celica"
I always wanted the 1st generation. they look like someone took a muscle car and made it 3/4 scale. but i do love those R series engines. i built a 22R with a 20R head. that thing was like a rocket. then i had a 22R-TE. thats the first Turbo i ever rebuilt, and good old Toyota built those things so crappy. it had a huge crack in the exhaust housing. still it was fun learning about turbos. sadly all those engines were for friends. the R series is also to large for the tercel.

my friend wants to build an adapter plate to install the 617 into his Toyota truck. the same adapter plate could be used to install a 617 into a Celica... I've been thinking about that...

Last edited by SirNik84; 02-13-2008 at 11:27 AM.