View Single Post
Old 02-19-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post
To be clear, your original problem was likely the two bad glow plugs. But, once you opened the fuel system and let air in there, you were not going to start until all the air was removed, or almost all the air was removed. Once it starts, the engine runs like crap until it purges "all" the air out and the fuel system on the high pressure side is "solid" with fuel again.
WE ARE RUNNING!!

I located the "primer pump" and pumped it exactly 100 times. I forget who said it, but that is a bear of a device, not user friendly. It leaked a fair amount of fuel while priming, but there is no sign of any leakage once screwed down.
Hopped in and hit the glow plugs for a twenty count - she fired, didn't start but fired. Hit the plugs again for a twenty count and she started. Ran like crap, darn near stalled and then smoothed out. I let her idle for the better part of 10 minutes and then took her for a spin. First time she has been on the road since Thanksgiving weekend.

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions. I'm sure I will be back with more questions in the future, but for now I'm cruising with a big smile.

Thanks Again,

Josh
------------------
1980 300SD Turbo In a 1974 Ford SuperCab Pickup
1964 Parts Car