View Single Post
Old 02-19-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSilver View Post
I had a tech who specified 20-50 for high-revving engines, but I did not follow his logic. (The faster a machine spins, the less I would want to inhibit its performance with a heavy oil.)

I think the kindest thing I can do to my engine is to relieve as much of the burden placed upon it as possible. With 15W oil, it was under visible strain, i.e. vibration, sound, and a jittery oil pressure needle -- as if the 15W had a harder time flowing through the filter. With lower oil weight, everything settles down.

Oils I have used ranged from 10W-30 to 15W-40. The ideal compromise was probably Rotella 5W-40 synthetic (but it still made me uncomfortable when driving in hot weather).

Those broad spectrum oils are not near as robust/long lived as those w/ a lesser spread even with a synthetic. The friction modifiers/viscosity improves required to achieve the spread make the polymers more likely to shear.

I have never experienced any of the aforementioned symptoms you describe when running heavy weight oils. All of my, and my customers M116/117's/103's/110's/119's all run 20/50 hear in the summer (my personal cars run 20/50 year round due to my particular driving style) and 15/40 in the winter months.

Jonathan
Enthusiast Service, Restoration & Tuning.
Follow Us on Facebook!
Located in the Atlanta area
Specializing in all pre and post merger AMG's including Hammers and DOHC M117 engines.
Mercedes Repair Atlanta