View Single Post
Old 02-22-2008, 12:02 AM
Colonel Blitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by goral View Post
Ive heard the w124 has a reputation for head gasket problems. Bad head gasket = overHeating, so Im assuming the removal of the thermostat was a quick fix. This of course is speculation, but Ive got a feeling the head gasket is he case.
if it was leaking, you'd know.

It's either; consume coolant, have oil in your coolant/coolant in your oil AND you'd have some residual pressure buildup.

I have to do a headgasket on mine, as a coolant hose blew and I overheated it quite a bit. This car has 421k mile on it, and this is the second time the head will have been off (it was off at 380k due to a leaky headgasket)

The OM602 is a damn fine motor. Treat it right and it'll last longer than the car will.

Check timing (for chain stretch) I would replace the oil chain and gears (NEVER replace just the chain, same go's for the timing chain) check play on the turbo and get it rebuilt if needed. no would be a good time to check for wear on the lifters and valve stem seals. A complete head overhaul would be a good idea - you don't want to crack it open again. BE SURE WHOEVER YOU SEND IT TO HAS DONE AND IS KNOWN FOR DOING GERMAN ENGINE WORK. This isnt no chevy 350; even something as simple as using the wrong coolant during a valve regrind will end up costing you $$$....

VERY good cars, my 92 300d 2.5 was my first mercedes diesel, and it sure wont be the last.