View Single Post
Old 02-22-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhef View Post
I thik they more so just meant the car wasn't worth sinking that much money into it at their prices. Doing it on your own, is definitly most cost effective and worth keeping it going.

Unfortunatly I see probably at least one car a month that meets these requirements, where the estimate far exceeds what the car is worth.
In all fairness, I understand that they made the suggestion based on the simple numbers of it (what they'd charge would be higher than the KBB value), which I guess is something to consider for most people, who don't do their own work and are going to want to sell or trade in the car at some point. They were pretty terse about it though, and part of the reason their estimate was so high is that they failed to notice the bolt that had backed out of the crankcase and was lying on the crossmember. The indy was quick to pick up on that slightly relevant issue and did all other needed repairs for less than half of what the dealership wanted.

I actually like our dealership though, although I don't use it for service. I'm in there buying parts a lot and everyone is very friendly. Parts guys seem to have a respect for the fact that I try to do my own work and put so much effort into my car. They also seem impressed by (or scared of?) the fact that I can tell them my VIN off the top of my head without even pausing to think about it (and back to the topic of anality ... ).
2018 Chevy Cruze diesel, 6-speed manual, satin steel metallic/kalahari--19,000 miles
1982 Peugeot 505 diesel, 4-speed manual, blue/blue, 130,000 miles
1995 S320, black/parchment--34,000 miles (Dad's car)