View Single Post
Old 02-23-2008, 08:22 PM

I get folks asking your last silly question all the time. A broke car is worthless. Your choice is to fix it or take a real beating.

1. Which transmission does my car use - the 722.2 or the 722.3? What are the differences between these?

You have a 722.3 a 722.2 is a very old 4 spd trans not built after 1981. Its just different like a ford or chevy is different

2. Is the dealer quoted price of $6,500 for a replacement too high? Should I get a second estimate?

since you were figuring on throwing it away with your last question I'd definitely do something different.

3. How much should I expect an independent shop / tech to charge?
about #2500 is what we charge for a 722.3 in a 140 car

4. What would a "valve body mod to increase the fill rate of the reverse clutch pack" do in my situation? Does this require transmission disassembly?

nothing or worse

5. If the dealer replaces the transmission would it cause added stress on the engine - and / or cause it or other components to fail sooner?

no other than the fact that running the car wears it out in general.

6. Would it be possible for the dealer to replace the transmission with the 5-speed version of the 1996 - 1999 W140's?

absolutely no unless you wish to fund an Apollo shot. The electronic trans works on a network with engine and traction control, you would find it cheaper to by the later car than to establish those systems in yours
Bosch Master, ASE Master, L1
33 years MB technician