View Single Post
Old 02-26-2008, 12:52 PM
Klatta Klatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12MPGHWY View Post
What is the do not exceed egt for the 617 engine, a search found figures that varied wildly?

I will tell you that a mazda rotary engine running dead stoic at cruise loads will generate 1600+ degrees F, and that is the peak, higher loads and more fuel will bring the EGT's down.
Diesels are the opposite of gassers... the higher the load the higher the temperature. At idle you should be in the 300*F range. 100% safe, no loss of engine longevity, etc is 1200*F. 1300*F is probably safe for short periods of time, and 1400*F is tolerable for very very short periods of time. Keep in mind that the damage is cumulative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12MPGHWY View Post
Next, I have a 26 x 11 x 3 sparco intercooler that I took of my rx7 in favor of alcohol injection. It has the inlet/outlet on opposite sides which is less than ideal for this car, but it should work, I can see that fitment won't be a problem,

Is this too large an intercooler for a turbo this small?
I can't tell you much on that specific intercooler, others will be better at that. Regardless, any intercooler is better than no intercooler. IMO, size vs turbo lag is nowhere near as important on a diesel. Diesels flow much more air than a gas engine. With a gas engine you are pressurizing an intercooler from vacuum, but a diesel will either be at atmosphere or some positive boost. My $.02 anyway.